For those of you who don’t have the time to sit and read my long-form recaps of SXSWi, I put together some of the most important topics and trends to watch from South by Southwest Interactive 2012. The following are what were, in my opinion, the top 5 tech trends from this year’s conference.
Top 5 Tech Trends to Watch
- Path – Path is the personal social journaling app where users can share every detail of their life, including: location, photos, thoughts, music, who you are with, and even when you wake up/sleep each day, and the app is currently sitting alone with its unique approach to social relationships
- Social Discovery Tools – GPS-enabled apps that let people learn more about others nearby and notify about common friends, interests, etc. were all the rave this year (and the “official” battery suckers), including: Highlight, Banjo, Sonar, Forecast
- Mobile Payments – Isis was one of the official sponsors of SXSW this year, and Google Wallet and others made up a lot of the buzz at this year’s conference
- Interface is King - multiple panels focused on the importance of interface and adapting design, content, and features across platforms and the direct link to the success of a product
- Beautifying the Web - Instagram and Pinterest were both heavy-hitters this year and both put a primary focus on beautiful, enjoyable interfaces (both mobile & web) to make users happy when interacting with their products
Want to learn more about these trends or hear more about my experience at SXSW 2012? Check out my day-by-day recap posts below.